I ran across a column written by an attorney in a small Illinois newspaper. Basically, it talks about residents of that state being entitled to compensation when attacked by a vicious dog. While laws in every state differ, the author did offer up some good steps to take if you ever find yourself the victim of a dog bite.
* Obtain immediate emergency treatment, giving the medical provider a detailed account of the attack.
* Immediately notify the police and your local animal control department of the attack and insist that a report be completed and the dog be checked for disease and whether it is vicious, to prevent injuries to others.
* Take numerous, detailed photographs (close-ups) or a video of your injuries.
* Do not discuss the dog bite attack or your medical condition with any representative of the insurance company for the dog owner, until you have consulted with an attorney.
* Contact a lawyer with experience in handling dog bite cases.